* To prevent the spread of new coronavirus infection, please make an online advance reservation (specify the date and time) before entering the museum. Click here for the official website of the Yokohama Archives of History Museum.
Today, with the development of information technology, disaster information will spread to the world in a blink of an eye through SNS and other media. Even after the Great East Japan Earthquake 10 years ago, the devastation after the disaster was recorded on various media, not to mention TV cameras, and spread to the world through the Internet. However, when the Great Kanto Earthquake struck on September 1, 1923, when there was no TV or radio, the information on the disaster was recorded by newspaper and news agency staff, government engineers, and photo studios in the city. They were the photographers who run the business. They took a picture of Yokohama, which became a burnt field, and sent it to all directions.
In this exhibition, we will take a closer look at the disaster area, Yokohama, taken by the photographers of the city, centering on the original photo plate (glass dry plate) of the Nishino Photo Studio, which was discovered in Kamakura City in the fall of 2018, from the Great East Japan Earthquake. At the turning point of the 10th year, we will reconsider the significance of communicating disaster records.
<< This is the highlight! 》
1. Damage to Yokohama City due to the Great Kanto Earthquake recorded in Katsuaki on the original photo
Twenty-eight photographic original plates were found in good condition with little major damage. Therefore, from this original plate, you can see the state of the collapsed building and the people who pass by in detail.
2. Photographer Yoshinosuke Nishino
Among the photographers who photographed the damage situation after the Great Kanto Earthquake, the owner of Nishino Photo Studio (located in Yukinoshita, in front of Tsuruoka Hachimangu in Kamakura), which had 28 original photographs.
I would like to introduce Yoshinosuke Nishino. Born in October 1881 (Meiji 14) in Hinode-cho, Naka-ku, Yokohama, Yoshinosuke Nishino aspired to become a photographer, and in the first year of the Taisho era he was engaged in the photography business there. After that, he opened a photo studio in Kamakura and changed his name to "Kaichi" in the first year of Showa, 1952.(Showa 27) He died in October.
3. Sales of the exhibition catalog "Stricken area through the lens, Yokohama-Nishino Photo Studio, formerly owned by the Great Kanto Earthquake Glass Plate Photograph-"
A total of 28 photographs of the former Kanto Great Earthquake glass dry plate, which was released for the first time this time, have been recorded. The situation of the river flowing through the city of Yokohama, Yamashita-cho, which became a mountain of rubble, the buildings burned down with the outer walls left, and the collapsed port facilities, etc., reveal the devastation of the earthquake about 100 years ago.
Reiwa 2nd year 3rd exhibition
Yokohama, a disaster area through the lens-The Great Kanto Earthquake of Photographers-
[Date and time] January 30th (Sat) -April 18th (Sun) 9: 30-16: 30 (Admission is until 16:00)
[Venue] Yokohama Archives of History Museum 2F Planning Exhibition Room
[Fee] General ¥ 200, Elementary / Junior high school students ¥ 100, Yokohama city resident 65 years old and over ¥ 100
[Organizer] (Public interest incorporated foundation) Yokohama City Furusato History Foundation
[TEL] 045-201-2100 (Yokohama Archives of History Museum)
* To prevent the spread of the new coronavirus infection, please make an online advance reservation (specify the date and time) before entering the museum. For details, see the website of the Yokohama Archives of History Museum (kaikou.city.yokohama.jp/ "target =" _ blank "style =" color: # 008080; "rel =" noopener noreferrer "> http://www.kaikou.city.yokohama.jp/) Please check.
* The session and opening hours may change depending on the spread of new coronavirus infection.
Outline of the event
Yokohama Archives of History Museum
The place where the Convention of Kanagawa was signed in 1854 was the former British Consul General, which was the predecessor of the museum. Valuable historical materials related to the opening of Japan and the opening of Yokohama are collected in the museum. It is said that Admiral Perry and the Shogunate met under the "Tamakusu Tree" in the courtyard that still remains. The mascot character "Tanemaru", the 150th anniversary of the opening of the port in 2009, was designed as this "Tamakusu no Kisei". At the adjacent Yokohama Port Opening Square, Japan's oldest brick manhole and sewer pipe are also on display.About the facility Access