コンテンツにスキップ
Berwick Hall

Berwick Hall (formerly Berwick Residence) was designed in 1930 as the home of British merchant B.R. Berwick. After being used as a residence until before World War II, it was donated by his family to the Catholic Marianist Society in 1956 and used as a dormitory for St. Joseph International School until 2000. It is the largest surviving pre-war foreign residence in Yamate and was designed by American architect J.H. Morgan.

Morgan left behind numerous architectural works, including Yamate 111 House, Yamate Anglican Church, and Negishi Racecourse. Berwick Hall, standing on a 600-tsubo (approximately 2,000 square meter) plot, is based on the Spanish style, and its exterior is adorned with diverse decorations such as the triple arch at the entrance, the quatrefoil windows which are influenced by Islamic style, and the chimney with a tiled roof. The interior is also of architectural value, with a spacious living room and palm room, a Japanese-style dining room, black and white tiled floors, ironwork in the entrance and staircase, and the walls of his son's room restored using the fresco technique.

In 2001, the city of Yokohama acquired the land on which the building stood as an expansion area for Motomachi Park. The building itself was donated by the Catholic Marianist Society, and after restoration and renovation work, the building and gardens were opened to the public in 2002.

Detailed info

Business hours
  • 9:30 AM - 5:00 PM (extended to 6:00 PM in July and August) [Closed] Second Wednesday of each month (open on public holidays, closed the following day), New Year holidays (December 29th to January 3rd)
Access
神奈川県横浜市中区山手町72

Nearby Areas

  • Image of THE HALL YOKOHAMA

    THE HALL YOKOHAMA

    Yamashita-cho
  • Image of Silk Road Dance Hall

    Silk Road Dance Hall

    Motomachi-Chukagai Station
  • Image of Memorial Gallery Cafe JEREMY'S

    Memorial Gallery Cafe JEREMY'S

    Motomachi